On October 15th and 16th, 2022, from 10 AM to 3 PM the Lower Susquehanna Riverkeeper Association and partners, including the Penn State Master Watershed Stewards of York, Lancaster, Lebanon, and Dauphin Counties, Watershed Alliance of York, Lancaster Conservancy, and Susquehanna National Heritage Area will host THE 3RD ANNUAL GREAT PLASTIC PURGE OF THE LOWER SUSQUEHANNA.
This large-scale cleanup will occur around Lake Clarke on the Susquehanna River and further north. Lake Clarke is a 10-mile reservoir or “Lake” formed by the hydroelectric Safe Harbor Dam. Plastics, tires, litter, and other debris continue to get flushed into the Susquehanna River, so we will do our part to clean up and help protect our downstream neighbors, aquatic and avian species. There are three registration locations on Lake Clarke and another site north of Lake Clarke at Falmouth Boat Launch. Please choose a registration site that is suitable for you.
NEED TO KNOW INFO:
- You MUST CHOOSE which boat launch to show up at and register for the event.
- York County Locations –
- Lock 2 Lower Boat Ramp – Fishing Creek Road Wrightsville, PA 17368 or
- Susquehanna Boat Works – 516 Boathouse Road Wrightsville, PA 17368.
- Lancaster County Locations –
- Columbia River Park 41 Walnut Street Columbia, PA 17512 or
- Falmouth Boat Launch 111 Collins Rd. Bainbridge, PA 17502
- You can walk and clean up along the banks and available shoreline given public property, and/or you may launch your motorized boat, canoe, or kayak at any public access. The cleanup will focus on the many islands around Lake Clarke and shorelines throughout the River. Motorized boats will use barges to assist around the islands, flats, and sandbar and haul away litter picked by those in canoes or kayaks.
- Please bring your own Personal Flotation Device (PFD), water bottle, and dress for the weather. All volunteers must wear a PFD during the cleanup if they are on the River. PFDs can be rented at Shank’s Mare Outfitters for a minimal fee if you do not have one. Drysuits and other cold weather gear are recommended for prolonged exposure to colder water. Water refill stations and snacks will be available for volunteers. We will supply all of the tools for the cleanup, including extended pickers to reach out of grasp items, trash bags, gloves, and hip waders.
- Please feel free to bring your family and friends. Cleanups are always fun and a really cool way to meet like-minded people. We hope you’ll join us! Please SHARE this event! Duration: 5 hr each day
WHEN: Saturday, October 15, 2022 from 10 AM – 3 PM & Sunday, October 16, 2022 from 10 AM – 3 PM
WHERE: Four Clean Up Locations (2 in York County & 2 in Lancaster County)
WHO: This is a partnership event organized by Lower Susquehanna Riverkeeper Association, Watershed Alliance of York, Penn State Master Watershed Steward Program, Lancaster Conservancy, and Susquehanna National Heritage Area
HOW: Sign Up Here to become a Volunteer for this event.
QUESTIONS?: Contact Ted at firstname.lastname@example.org or Brodi at email@example.com